Mellett calls it a day

Mellett calls it a day

articles.comments (9)

Vodacom Bulls prop Morne Mellett has retired from rugby with immediate effect due to medical advice.

The prop suffered vertebral artery dissection in July and was ruled out of rugby for the remainder of the year. Recent medical advice suggested that the 26-year old player calls it a day.

"It is sad to end my career like this, but I have no regrets," Mellett said on Thursday. "I had a good career with an unbelievable group of guys and was part of the best union in the world since I left school. We have achieved so much together and although I would have wanted to go on and play test rugby in the future, my health and family remains most important.  I would like to take this opportunity to specifically thank my wife, Claudine, for her unconditional love and support throughout my career and especially now, as well as my brother Leon." he said.

Mellett represented Valke at Craven Week in 2006 and 2007 and started playing for the Vodacom Blue Bulls Under-19’s in 2007 already.

He represented the Vodacom Bulls in 37 matches in the Vodacom Super Rugby competition and 10 times in the Absa Currie Cup. He also played for UP-Tuks in the Varsity Cup and represented the Junior Springboks at the 2009 Junior World Championship.

Xander Janse van Rensburg, High Performance Manager of the Blue Bulls Company (Pty) Ltd, thanked Mellett for his contribution to the team and union.

"We are very sad to hear the news. Morne has been a great team man over many years and his contributions to all Blue Bulls teams are appreciated and will not be forgotten. We want to thank him for everything he did for the Vodacom Bulls and Vodacom Blue Bulls and we wish him well in his career going forward and life after rugby. If he applies himself in business with the same professionalism and dedication than as a Bulls player, he will do very well."

Pin It

Dec 10, 2015

(9) Mellett calls it a day

1. gravatar kzn bul says:
    Dankie Morne vir als wat jy vir die span gedoen het.Sterkte met die nuwe pad
  2. gravatar Dylan says:
    Eers Frik en nou Morné....sterkte aan al twee met hul lewens vorentoe.
    Om eerlik te wees was Mellett nooit rerig baie goed nie maar dis nooit goed om 'n speler te verloor nie.
  3. gravatar Blue Bull says:
    O no. Mellet has been plagued by injury since he got on the big stage. He had a great season in 2013 I think it was, with Frik Kirsten. That was by far our best scrumming season since Guthro left. I remember his debut in some Vodacom final against the Pampas.

But one has to look after your health and family.

Thanks Morne Mellet.
  4. gravatar Cornelius says:
    Jammer om dit te hoor Mellet, sterkte vir die toekoms, dit maak seker Werner en Dean se kans beter om te speel en strafskoppe af re staan
  5. gravatar Blou Kaap says:
    Ek het die nuwe CC formaat onder oë gehad.

166 wedstryde.

Eerste rondte is daar 15 spanne. Daarna dring die top 5 SA franchise Spanne automaties deur, al sou dit beteken hulle eindig bottom of the log. Saam met die top 5 sal die top drie nie-superrugby spanne dan in die top 8 premierliga deelneem, sonder dat punte oorgedra word.

Ek hoop iemand gaan bietjie moerkoffie by die flou affêre bygooi.
  6. gravatar Cornelius says:
    Ek sien Hougie is nie geteken vir die Kings, nou waar gaan hy speel
  7. gravatar jimmy says:
    Sterkte aan die familie en vriende van Andre Skinner met sy heengaan.

Rus sag ou Bloubul.
  8. gravatar JP says:
    Totsiens Andre sterkte aan jou familie en vriende
  9. gravatar Oom Koos says: